We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The Douglas C-1 was the first in the long family of Douglas transport aircraft and was a biplane transport capable of carrying eight passengers or 2,500lb of cargo.
The C-1 was a large biplane, constructed with a welded steel fuselage, covered with aluminium forward of the wing leading edge and fabric on the centre and rear fuselage and the wings, which had a wooden structure. The wings were both straight, with untapered edges and a very slight dihedral.
The crew of two (pilot and co-pilot or flight mechanic) saw side by side in a open cockpit carried in front of the wing. The passenger or cargo cabin was carried in the centre section, mainly between the wings, and was 10ft high, 46in wide and 50in high, with a line of circular windows on each side (resembling port holes). It was normally equipped to carry six passengers, but could take eight with less space each. The seats could also be removed, and up to 2,500lb of cargo loaded through a hatch in the wooden floor. This was enough to allow it to carry a Liberty engine or other similar loads. It was powered by a 435hp Liberty engine.
The first nine C-1s were ordered using money from the 1925 Fiscal Year. The first aircraft made its maiden flight on 2 May 1925 and passed its service trials in the same month. All nine had been delivered by the end of 1925.
One of the original nine aircraft was used for tests as the C-1A. First it was given an epicyclic-geared 420hp Liberty V-1650-5 engine, and was used to test out a number of engine cowlings and other engine installations, as well as being given a ski undercarriage. It was also given a modified tail with an enlarged rudder. It was later returned to the standard C-1 configuration (apart from the tail).
The C1-B was a 1925 project that was never built.
The C-1C was an improved version with increased wing span, a longer fuselage, and a balanced rudder. The Liberty engine had silencing exhaust manifolds installed. The split axle undercarriage was modified. It had a metal floor in the cargo compartment and could carry four stretchers. Nine were ordered in 1926 and another ten using 1927 funds. All 19 were delivered by the end of 1927.
The C-1s and C-1Cs were scattered across the main Army airfield and air depots, mainly operating individually or in very small groups. In 1929 one C-1 was used as a tanker during early in-flight refueling experiments with the Fokker C-2 and the Boeing Hornet Shuttle. Some remained in use well into the mid 1930s.
Engines: Liberty V-1650-1 water-cooled engine
Wing span: 56ft 7in
Length: 35ft 4in
Empty weight: 3,836lb
Loaded weight: 6,443lb
Maximum speed: 116mph at sea level
Cruising speed: 85mph
Service ceiling: 14,850ft
Rate of climb: 645ft/ min
Normal range: 385 miles
Cargo: 8 passengers or 2,500lb cargo
Engines: Liberty V-1650-1 water-cooled engine
Wing span: 60ft
Empty weight: 3,900lb
Loaded weight: 7,412lb
Maximum speed: 121mph at sea level
Cruising speed: 85mph
Service ceiling: 15,950ft
Cargo: 8 passengers or 2,500lb cargo or 4 stretchers
Douglas C-1 - History
United States Maritime Commission C1 and C1-M Type Ships used in World War II, Korean War and Vietnam War
The C1 types were the smallest of the 3 original types designed by the United States Maritime Commission and were intended to be used on routes that did not call for fast ships. 173 were built between 1940 and 1945. Both the C1-A and C1-B were built with either steam geared turbine or diesel motors.
The C-1-S-AY1 were modified transports (Loading Ship Infantry, Large) for Great Britain.
Photo of C1-B type ship
U.S. Maritime Commission photo of SS Reuben Tipton
Launched December 1940 Federal Ship Building and Drydock, Kearny, N.J.
Torpedoed October 23, 1942
The C1-M-AV1 was designed for short coastal runs, including 65 ships designated Alamosa class for Navy "island hopping" in the Pacific.
C1-ME-AV6 Type was a diesel electric with 2,200 horsepower.
C1-M-AV8 Type had a controllable pitch propeller. One was planned as this type, 5 ships were launched as C1-M-AV1 Type and completed for the French government as C1-M-AV8.
If you would like photocopies of our information about a ship, please send a donation (Minimum $25 US payable to T. Horodysky) to support our research and Web Site to:
27 Westbrook Way
Eugene, OR 97405
The 4 ships of this type were built as lumber carriers. They were 309 feet long, 49 foot beam, 3,133 gross tons, twin screw diesel.
US Army Basic Training Yearbooks
The change from civilian to a soldier is accomplished in eight weeks, where the recruit will receive intensive training in the fundamentals of combat. During their training, more will be understood about the routine that will become such an essential part of their next eight weeks in Basic Combat Training.
Fort Benning, Georgia
Roster and Photos for Recruit Company A, 6th Battalion, 2nd Training Brigade for 1967, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Benning, Georgia. Company Commander: 1/LT. James A. Thomas, III. 211 Recruits Graduated on 22 October 1967.
Roster and Photos for Recruit Company A, 6th Battalion, 2nd Training Brigade for 1968, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Benning, FtLoc. Company Commander: CPT Morvin D. Grissom. 136 Recruits Graduated on 17 January 1969.
Roster and Photos for Recruit Company C, 7th Battalion, 1st Infantry for 1982, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Benning, Georgia. Company Commander: CPT Dennis J. O'Driscoll. 158 Recruits Graduated on 15 July 1982.
Fort Campbell, Kentucky
Roster ane Photos for Recruit Company C, 4th Battalion, 1st Training Brigade for 1968, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Campbell, Kentucky. Company Commander: CPT Stanley L. Adsit. 216 Recruits Graduated on 15 March 1968.
Fort Dix, New Jersey
Roster for Recruit Company L, 3rd Battalion, 3rd Training Regiment for 1960, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Dix, New Jersey. Company Commander: Lt. Cadman Owens. 206 Recruits Graduated on 16 September 1960.
Roster and Photos for Recruit Company N, 4th Training Regiment for 1961, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Dix, Kentucky. Company Commander: 1st Lieutenant ROLAND SCHMUCKER. 190 Recruits Graduated on 21 July 1961.
Roster and Photos for Recruit Company E, 1st Battalion, 2nd Training Brigade for 1971, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Dix, Kentucky. Company Commander: Capt. Michael W. Jacobs. 196 Recruits Graduated on 26 February 1972.
Roster and Photos for Recruit Company B for 1979, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Dix, New Jersey. Company Commander: 2Lt Robin Edmond. 227 Recruits Graduated on 8 August 1979.
Fort Jackson, South Carolina
Roster and Photos for Recruit Company A, 3rd Battalion, 1st Training Brigade for 1963, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Jackson, South Carolina. Company Commander: Capt. Leoncio Estrada. 242 Recruits Graduated on 21 February 1964.
Roster for Recruit Company C for 1979, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Dix, New Jersey. Company Commander: 1Lt Robert Connor. 238 Recruits Graduated on 8 August 1979.
Roster and Photos for Recruit Company Company E for 1964, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Jackson, South Carolina. Company Commander: 1Lt Albert S. Hansen, Jr. 185 Recruits Graduated on 22 May 1964.
Roster and Photos for Recruit Company B, 2nd Battalion, 1st Training Brigade for 1969, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Jackson, South Carolina. Company Commander: CPT James W. Matthews. 192 Recruits Graduated on 23 May 1969. Story of Bau Bang.
Fort Knox, Kentucky
Roster and Photos for Recruit Company D, 15th Battalion, 5th Training Regiment for 1956, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Knox, Kentucky. Company Commander: 1st Lieutenant CAREY W. GREEN, JR. 194 Recruits Graduated. Training Dates Not Reported.
Roster and Photos for Recruit Company D, 2nd Battalion, 1st Training Brigade for 1977, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Knox, Kentucky. Company Commander: CPT Barry Shelton Sprouse. 153 Recruits Graduated on 16 September 1977.
Douglas C-1 - History
The Museum is Presently Closed.
We will resume regular tours in July 2021
We will be Open Sundays 1-5 PM.
If you wish to schedule a visit before then, Please Call (301)432-6969
We have created a Virtual tour of a few of the highlites for you until we can open Please Click Below
Huge collection of Civil War Artifacts many one of a kind items
See How the people of Boonsboro and the area lived during the Civil War
Click Here if you would like to make a Donation to the Museum at
Open Sundays 1-5 PM. May thru September
Year Around by special appointment,
Click Buttons Below
View Highlights of some of our Collections
Douglas G Bast Museum of History and Preservation, Inc. is often called “One of the best little museums in America” and “a miniature Smithsonian. The museum houses a vast and unique collection of historical objects of local and national importance. From ancient Egyptian artifacts to objects found on local Civil War battlefields, there is something for everyone at the Boonsborough Museum of History. Just a few of the things visitors will see include: a letter written by Clara Barton, a chair used in the Lincoln White House, a large collection of firearms from around the world, a one-of-a-kind collection of carved bullets from the Civil War, objects associated with local folklore and magic and beautiful antique glassware and pottery.
Copyright 2019. Douglas G Bast Museum of History and Preservation, Inc.
Curtiss-Robertson Robin C-1
Curtiss designed the Robin to capitalize on the new popularity of aviation following Charles Lindbergh's transatlantic flight in 1927. It was a simple cabin monoplane design with seats for a pilot in front and two passengers in back. The aircraft was originally built to use a World War I-surplus OX-5 engine (still available almost 10 years after the war), though Robins later incorporated newer power plants. The dependable and inexpensive Curtiss Robin became one of the most commercially successful civil airplanes of its time, with 769 produced from 1928 to 1930. It was the most-produced Curtiss aircraft in the period between World Wars I and II.
The Robin was a practical airplane, but best remembered for unusual endurance flights. In 1930, Dale "Red" Jackson performed over four hundred consecutive slow rolls in his Robin. In 1929, Jackson and Forrest O'Brine spent nearly 17 days circling over St. Louis. That record was surpassed in 1935 by the brothers Fred and Al Key, who flew their Robin for over 27 continuous days. (Fuel was delivered from another Robin via hose mail, food, oil, and spare parts came via container on the end of a rope.) The most famous Robin may be that of Douglas "Wrong-Way" Corrigan, who flew the Atlantic to Ireland after announcing his destination as Los Angeles. These endurance flights showed not only the reliability of the Robin but the dependability of aircraft in general during the 1930s.
The Museum's Robin, dubbed The Newsboy, was purchased in 1929 by the Daily Gazette newspaper of McCook, Nebraska. Delivered as a C-2 Robin powered by a Curtiss Challenger 185-horsepower engine, it flew 380 miles (600 km) a day to deliver 5,000 newspapers to 40 towns across rural Nebraska and Kansas. Publisher Harry Strunk hired pilot Steve Tuttle to deliver the Gazette in the morning and (hopefully) defray costs by selling flying lessons in the afternoon. At each town, Tuttle would drop a bundle of newspapers out of a hole in the bottom of the fuselage. The Newsboy is considered the first aircraft to be used to deliver newspapers on a regular schedule.
After sustaining damage in a tornado, the aircraft was eventually sold, repaired, and flown sporadically in the ensuing decades. The aircraft was restored as a C-1 in the late 1960s by Perry Schreffler and Robert Van Ausdell and is currently equipped with a Wright R-760-8 engine. It has been on loan to the Museum since 1972.
Stephen A. Douglas
Stephen Arnold Douglas was born in Brandon, Vermont. He received a basic education, became employed in farm work and, briefly, teaching. At age 20 he moved to Illinois, his home for the remainder of his life. Douglas began practicing law in 1834, followed quickly by political ventures, including the office of Illinois attorney general, two years in the state legislature and an unsuccessful run for Congress. In 1840, Douglas became Illinois secretary of state, then served as a judge on the state supreme court from 1841 to 1843. He was elected to the House of Representatives in 1843 and to the Senate in 1847. Known as the “Little Giant” for his diminutive size but towering will, Douglas played a major role in most of the major public issues of his day. He was an ardent expansionist, advocating the annexation of Cuba and the entirety of the Oregon Territory. He was a supporter of the Mexican War. In the Senate Douglas chaired the influential Committee on Territories, which guided territories to statehood. With Henry Clay he drafted the component bills of the Compromise of 1850. Douglas coined the term “Popular Sovereignty” and urged that doctrine's acceptance as a solution to the problems of the extension of slavery in the territories. He also was the prime force behind the Kansas-Nebraska Act in 1854. Douglas was nominated for president by the Democratic Party in 1852 and 1856. In the latter campaign, Douglas threw his support to James Buchanan, the eventual winner. In one of the most dramatic and principled moves of his career, Douglas broke with the president over his support of the proslavery minority in Kansas. In 1858 he sought reelection to the Senate and engaged Abraham Lincoln in the historic Lincoln-Douglas Debates. Douglas won the election, but Lincoln emerged as a national figure. In 1860 Douglas was unable to secure the necessary two-thirds vote for nomination in the Democratic convention, but later accepted nomination from a rump convention of Northern Democrats. Douglas worked tirelessly in search of a compromise that might avert war. When the conflict finally came, he ardently supported Lincoln. On a trip to the Midwest and Border States, Douglas contracted typhus and died later. Stephen Douglas was truly one of the great political figures of his era, one of the few with a national vision, but his reputation has suffered in comparison with Lincoln.
Welcome to Douglas County, Kansas History and Genealogy
Douglas County Courthouse in Lawrence - Wikipedia
This Site is Available for Adoption
HISTORY OF DOUGLAS COUNTY
Organized in 1855, Douglas County was named for Stephan A. Douglas, famous orator and United States senator.
It is the home of three universities: the University of Kansas, Baker University and Haskell Indian Nations University.
Lawrence is the county seat besides the cities listed, the communities of Big Springs, Clearfield, Clinton, Globe, Grover, Hesper, Kanwaka, Lake View, Lone Star, Midland, Pleasant Grove, Sibleyville, Stull, Vinland and Worden lie within the boundaries of Douglas County.
|Birth/ Divorce/ Marriage Notices||Cemeteries|
|Census||Church Histories/ Records|
|County History||Court Records|
|Disasters||Family Bibles/ Stories|
|Historical Landmarks||Land Records|
|News/ Brevities||Newspapers/ Resources|
|Tax Lists||Towns/ Townships|
|Wills/ Legal Records|| |
|Website Updates: |
Our goal is to help you track your ancestors through time by transcribing genealogical and historical data for the free use of all researchers.
SEARCH OUR SITES
If you have a love for history, a desire to help others, and basic web-authoring skills, consider joining us! Get the details on our Volunteer Page
Check your Attics! Dust off your family scrapbooks!
We're looking for DATA for this site.
If you are interested in adding your families' obituaries, news items and other historical data to this website, Email Us.
We regret that we are unable to perform personal research.
Submit an Obituary to Us for any of our county sites.
Don't miss an Update!
subscribe to any or all of our mailing lists
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.
Douglas C-1 - History
DC3, C47, Dakota, R4D, Gooney Bird, DAK, DST, C-53, C-117,C-49 License
Agreement No. BMC 01-TM-047 with The Boeing Company
ALIASES of the C-47
For every use found for the C-47, someone discovered there was usually a new nickname. Many were affectionate names, and a few were unglamorous ones. It accumulated more than two dozen nicknames rivaling someone on the FBI's &ldquoWanted List.&rdquo
Americans called it the &ldquoGooney Bird,&rdquo &ldquoDoug,&rdquo &ldquo Dumbo ,&rdquo &ldquoOld Fatso&rdquo. &ldquoCharlie 47,&rdquo &ldquo Skytrain ,&rdquo &ldquo Skytrooper ,&rdquo and &ldquoTabby.&rdquo The British called it the &ldquoDakota&rdquo and the &ldquo Dak .&rdquo The RCAF called one squadron of Dakotas , &ldquoThe Flying Elephants.&rdquo The Russians called it the &ldquoPS-84,&rdquo and the &ldquoLi-2.&rdquo The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) gave the Russian Li-2, the code name, &ldquoCAB.&rdquo The French Navy called it, &ldquoThe Beast.&rdquo It even enjoyed the fleeting nickname, &ldquoBiscuit Bomber,&rdquo after dropping 5,000 cases of rations to General Patton's troops in France .
Civilian pilots called it the &ldquoThree,&rdquo &ldquoOld Methuselah,&rdquo &ldquoThe Placid Plodder, &ldquoThe Dowager Dutchess ,&rdquo &ldquoThe Flying Vagrant,&rdquo and the &ldquoDizzy Three.&rdquo In Vietnam , it earned the sobriquets &ldquoPuff the Magic Dragon,&rdquo &ldquoPuff,&rdquo &ldquoSpooky,&rdquo and &ldquoThe Dragon Ship.&rdquo
In October 1941, the U.S. government adopted the British practice of identifying airplanes with a name. The C-47 was the first airplane given a name by the Army &ldquo Skytrain .&rdquo The intention was to mask the development information of a new type from getting into the enemy's hands. Of course most war-time names for the C-47 were forgotten.
Most people remember and still call it the &ldquoGooney Bird.&rdquo There are several versions of how it got that name. Some say the name came from the South Pacific where small atolls were the home of the wandering albatross, the giant seagull-like bird noted for its powers of flight, and sometimes unflattering but safe landings. Some GIs said the C-47 looked like the bird, with a heavy body and long wings, and mimicked the bird in its struggle to get off the rain-soaked dirt fields.
The Albatross, aerodynamically should not be able to get off the ground. People say the bird is so stupid, it doesn't realize this and flies anyway.
Others say &ldquoGooney Bird&rdquo comes from the definition of stupid, or goon. Pilots called the C-47 stupid, because they said it didn't know it wasn't supposed to be able to do the things it did.
Another source claims long before the C-47 lifted off the ground, the C-39s were nicknamed Gooney Birds by the Tenth Transport Command, at Patterson Field, in Dayton , Ohio.
Five hundred thousand rivets were used in the manufacture of the Douglas DC-3 airplane. The average size used in the manufacture was approximately 3-8 inches long, and if laid end-to-end, the rivets would cover a distance of 15,625 feet or more than three miles.
The lighting system of each DC-3 plane was sufficient to light an eight room house. More than 90 lights were used in each plane. 1,517 watts are required. To light an ordinary room in those days only 100 watts was required.
Approximately 6,000 men and women were employed in building a DC-3.
3,600 blueprints were turned out by the Engineering Department in the development of the DC-3. They covered approximately 28,000 square feet.
The total length of the control cables used on the DC-3 was over 2,850 feet, more than ½ mile.
Material used for sound insulation in the DC-3 and the DST "Sleeper" weighed 240 pounds. Blankets and mattresses weighed another 195 pounds.
3,900 feet of tubing, 8,000 feet of wire and approximately 13,300 square feet of sheet metal were used in the construction of each DC-3.
The heating and ventilation used in the DC-3 dispensed 1,000 cubic feet of air per minute on a warm day. As it took a little more than 15 hours to fly from Los Angeles to
New York , 900,000 cubic feet of air passed through the cabin or 60,000 to 75,000 pounds of air were utilized on the trip, depending on the altitude flown.
More than 120,000 BTUs were delivered to the cabin of a DC-3 on a cold day. On a flight to NY from LA, 1,800,000
BTUs were delivered during the 15 hours the plane was in the air. The boiler weighed 17 pounds and evaporated 15 gallons of water an hour. Approximately 225 gallons of water were evaporated from LA to NY. Only six quarts of water are carried in the heating system where it was continuously evaporated and condensed.
A radiator capable of heating air from 4 degrees F. to 200 degrees F. was installed in every DC-3. The air passed through the radiator at a speed of 3,000 feet a minute and since the radiator was only a foot long it took only 1/50 of a second to heat the air from 4 to 200 degrees. The radiator weighed 36 pounds.
Heating a DC-3 in the air was the equivalent of heating a building in a 200 mph wind at a 35 degree outside temperature .
Approximately 700,000 parts were used in the construction of the DC-3. This is exclusive of instruments and engine parts and exclusive also of the 500,000 rivets used on each plane.
The engines powering the DC-3 weighed 1,275 pounds each or a total of 2,550 pounds. This weight alone is a striking contrast to the payload available on some of the early airmail planes flown which was around 250 pounds.
At a cruise speed of 180 mph at 10,000 feet each engine developed 550 hp. Ninety-one gallons of fuel were used each hour giving approximately 2 miles per gallon.
Our Whisky Philosophy
Established in 1948 by Fred Douglas Laing, a man with a genuine love and serious passion for Whisky, Douglas Laing & Co. is a proudly independent, family owned Scotch Whisky Distiller, Blender and Bottler now in its third generation.
Over 70 years of heritage, history and expertise has helped us to refine our processes and create Whisky that is consistently exceptional in its offering.
Abiding by the philosophy of presenting Whisky “as the Distiller intended”, we are committed to bottling our Whisky “as natural as it gets” allowing enthusiasts around the globe to come as close as they possibly can to sampling a dram straight from the cask in the hallowed surrounds of a Scottish Distillery Warehouse.
History of the Shire
The First Peoples of the Douglas region are the Kuku Yalanji whose country extends from the Mowbray River in the South to Cooktown in the North and Palmer River in the West. From the Mowbray River, south to Cairns are the traditional homelands of the Yirrganydji people. The Kuku Yalanji and Yirrganydji are rainforest people whose connection to the region extends back 50,000 years to be among the earliest human occupations in Australia.
European habitation in the Douglas Shire began in the 1870s as George Elphinstone Dalrymple led the first extensive exploration of the region. Dalrymple thought the country “surrounded by a panorama of great beauty … a perfect picture of rich tropical country”.
Within the decade gold miners supplied from Port Douglas, timber cutters logging the much-prized red cedar, and farmers of cattle, vegetables, maize and sugar had all begun to make their mark.
Farming expanded along the coastal belt as extensive areas of lowland rainforest were cleared and settlements were established throughout the area.
Cultural diversity has been integral to the history of the Douglas Shire. According to the 1886 census almost two-thirds of the district’s population was of Chinese heritage.
By the 1890s the Douglas sugar cane industry was dependent for its survival upon Chinese and South Sea Islander (Kanaka) labour. In the 1900s these populations grew and were joined by Hindu, Punjabi and Japanese migrants.
The Shire of Douglas existed as a local government entity from 1880 until 2008 when it was amalgamated with Cairns City to create the Cairns Regional Council.
The merger was not popular with the community and lobbying from a local action group led the Queensland Minister for Local Government to grant residents a poll on 9 March 2013 in which a majority of electors (57.61%) voted in favour of de-amalgamation.
The Douglas Shire Council commenced operation for the second time on 1 January 2014 with a new Mayor and four new non-divisional Councillors.